Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Please don't throw tomatoes at me...

...unless you mean Pomodoro!

Surprise, surprise, I have another confession.  Clearly, this blog is becoming the place where I atone for my misbehaviors as a writer, most often stemming from my stubbornness.  Anyway, for the past year, I have heard colleagues refer to a writing technique called "Pomodoro".  This technique is a way to monitor writing time without reaching the burnout stage.  (More information can be found here.)  The basic idea is to write for 25 minutes then take a 5 minute break.  After a few cycles of this, a 15 minute break is given.

Like I said, I've seen colleagues use this technique, but I never put much faith into it.  I've even worked beside colleagues who were using this technique and refused to play by the rules.  This past week, I attended a four-day writing workshop that once again mentioned this Pomodoro strategy.  Something in the way the instructor presented it struck a chord with me.  I thought, "hmm...that's interesting, maybe I'll try it."  I've tried it 3 times since then (including currently) and I love it!  Why do I now love it, you ask?  Simple.  I am a multitasker and this strategy allows me to be more efficient and do more!  (I'm not sure if that is the intended purpose of the strategy but it works for me!)

On Thursday, my house had reached cataclysmic levels of filth.  Something had to be done, but alas, I had writing to do!  I set the Pomodoro timer to 25 minutes and wrote.  During the five minute break, I thought, "hey, I can clean a few counters in 5 minutes," which is exactly what I did.  Then, I wrote for 25 more minutes.  During the next break, I said, "I can sweep part of the floor in 5 minutes".  This continued for 4 hours!  By the time I had finished, I had written extensively, finished my writing to-do list, and cleaned both bathrooms in my house!  It was magic.

The second time I tried Pomodoro, I took care of tedious little tasks I dislike like paying bills online, responding to emails, and such.  Once again, I got all my writing done (plus some extra) and completed the mundane tasks I don't like.  Today, I am integrating mini workouts with my writing.  Write for 25 minutes, workout for 5.  This appeals to my love of writing and dislike for working out but gets both things done.

As always, writing strategies amaze me.  The benefits of having a set writing time, using new strategies, and having a support system to guide me through the process really are the difference between success and failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment