Saturday, August 10, 2013

New Semester, New Goals!

Last summer, I learned how to be an academic writer. I tried to hone my skills more and improve as a writer over the past year. During the upcoming year, I would like to become an even stronger writer. In order to ensure this can happen, I am setting myself a few simple goals towards writing to help improve on skills that I feel are weaker.

1. Don't put off abstracts. I don't feel very confident writing abstracts so I tend to put them off. This year, I want to become more confident writing them, so that means practice and research! I think Dr. Goodson's book can be a good start.

2. Learn to like literature reviews.  I will write methods and results all day...I love it! Numbers, stats, procedures - it's logical, analytical, and it makes perfect sense. I don't like literature reviews. Synthesizing what others have done to show that what I'm doing is relevant and necessary? Not a fan. My skills are a bit weaker on this part of writing manuscripts due to my dislike. Therefore, I need to form a better attitude and outlook on literature reviews. Again, I think practice is the key here.

3. Continue to ask for feedback more often. I'm still adjusting to asking for feedback frequently and can always improve on this skill. I don't think you can have too much feedback!

4. Read about writing. When I started my writing journey, I was really good about reading about writing. I've really slacked for the past 8 months. Between reading literature for projects, keeping up with my ever-growing fiction reading list, and actually studying, I haven't had time to read for writing. My goal will be to read one book for writing during the semester. When I sit down to write, I can read 2-4 pages. It may take me 3 months to read the book, but it will be beneficial. And if I finish the first book, I can start another!

I think that is a good start and a good focus for the Fall 2013 semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment