Sunday, April 21, 2013

Location, Location, Location!

Grad school is monotonous sometimes.  It is fast-paced, but that speed does not always mean the requirements are new, interesting, or engaging.  Oftentimes along this journey, I feel run-down, overwhelmed, and disenchanted.  I have to remind myself that if it were easy, everyone would do it.  But, how can I temporarily overcome the bored, lackluster feelings so I can be productive?

To compound these feelings, I have lost enthusiasm for my favorite coffee shop.  I have loved this coffee shop for years, but it has become too popular, too unreliable, and too familiar.  While I love routines, I also have a longing for change to keep my brain stimulated.  Now, when I go to my favorite coffee shop, I see too many people I know, I find that the wireless Internet connection is hit or miss, and I just feel "blah" about the whole excursion.

Many of my grad school friends have gotten into the habit of telling each other when we are going to work in order to maintain accountability.  I have to admit, that while this started off positive for me, it is yet another thing that has made me less productive.  I'm an introvert.  I need my space and quiet time.  Yesterday, I felt very unmotivated and decided to try a mini experiment to squelch some of my negativity and concerns during this crazy-busy time.  I went to work at a new place and didn't tell a soul where I was headed.  It turned out to be the most productive three-hour time slot I have had in a long time.  I accomplished my entire daily to-do list, was completely motivated, and enjoyed my work.

Sometimes, motivation comes in the oddest forms.  For me, it was location.  A new location.  Fresh ideas.  No interruptions.  I got to work my own way, in my own style without the constant, unchanging eyes of my peers watching and judging that I am accomplishing enough.  It was pure bliss.  I feel that this experiment will be continued later this week with a new location - until I find a new permanent place.  Hopefully, it will serve coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment