Thursday, April 11, 2013

Where do you find your inspiration?

Inspiration: the desire to do something

This is my personal definition of inspiration.  Things that inspire me drive me to do something to the best of my ability.  In writing, inspiration is one of the key factors to success.  Without it, we fail as writers.  With it, we can accomplish a great deal.  Here is what inspires me with my writing:

1. Giving feedback

I absolutely love giving feedback to my peers!  Not only do I get to read other people's writing and see their faces light up with I praise them or give them a good suggestion, but I learn so much about writing, in general, through the process.  I have never given feedback to someone without walking away going, "I never really thought to say it this way," or "I liked how that person used this word [or phrase, or format, etc.]".  Bottom line - giving feedback fuels me with more tools to improve my own writing.  Plus, the warm, fuzzy feeling of helping someone be more successful isn't too bad either.

2. Getting feedback

This one is a little more scary for me.  It's downright nerve-racking sometimes to ask for feedback on something I have poured my heart and soul into.  In the back of my mind, I am always thinking, "This is the time they are going to realize that I'm a fraud and have no clue what I'm doing.  It will finally show".  I'm sure many people experience this nagging feeling of inadequacy.  With that thought reeling in my mind, nothing makes me happier or fuels my fire to write than hearing, "This is so clear!" or "You are such a creative writer" or some other derivative of positive feedback.  Even the smallest word of praise goes a long way.

3. Passion

Without a doubt, this one is the easiest inspiration to find.  If I am passionate about something, my desire and ability to write skyrocket.  Students.  Writing.  Reading.  My life.  My family.  Things that make me mad.  Things that make me happy.  Divine interventions.  These are easy topics for me to write about.  I can whip out notes, emails, blogs, papers, presentations, poems, short stories, or reviews at the drop of a hat for things I'm passionate about.  The trick with this, though, is to find something I'm passionate about even with writing I'm not passionate about (what I refer to as "silver linings").  

What inspires you to write? 

And remember (in honor of the title and subtitle to this blog): 

1. We're all just living on a prayer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment