Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 Highlights by the Month - July - December Edition

Welcome back to my 2013 Highlights by the Month! 
Here is the July - December edition. Enjoy!

July - AERA Proposals and Meta-Analysis Class

Two big things happened in July that are huge in affecting the course of my academic career. First of all, AERA proposals were due for the following year. These proposals are a big deal. Over 12,000 proposals were submitted for the 2014 conference, and for the most part, they are all good. I worked tirelessly the entire month on 5 different proposals. Some I wrote the majority of, some I helped edit, and some I co-authored. It was tough. So tough, in fact, I had my second highest recorded writing hours of the year - over 75. It was a learning experience and not an enjoyable process. I don't like being that close to a deadline - this year, I've already started writing my AERA proposals. 6 months ahead of the deadline. Go me!

Also in July, I took a meta-analysis class. I was excited to take this course because I had been interested in meta-analysis since I first heard about it, but I had no clue how to actually do one. This class was a 4-week, intensive, online course. We were expected to go through the entire meta-analysis process from research question and article searches to coding and calculations in ONE MONTH! Yikes! Thankfully, it was a group paper, and I got to work with a group I trusted. While the course was not fun because it was so intensive, it was immensely useful. Since this course, I have written one meta-analysis for work and am in the process of writing a second. It is one of the best skills I have learned as a researcher. Who knew?

August - Teaching Graduate Students

I got my first opportunity to teach and mentor graduate students in August when I served as a TA Mentor for the Center for Teaching Excellence. Basically, I got to teach new GAs the ropes of being a GA. While we had to teach prescribed lessons, I enjoyed getting to put my own spin on things. It was fun to get to work with graduate students instead of undergraduates for a change. Some of these students have stayed in contact with me, and I have gotten to serve as an unofficial mentor to them. Great experience!

September - Reviews and Being a "Voice"

September was a month of reviews, review, reviews. Every conference that I apply to, I volunteer to be a reviewer. It doesn't take a great deal of time (except for AERA), and I love getting to see how other people write proposals and what kinds of research they are doing. It is a huge learning experience. I also get to review for a couple of journals now. Those reviews take longer, but again, I find it so interesting. Also, in September, it came to my attention that as a leader of the student organization in my department, I am also part of the college's graduate student advisory committee. I was not happy about being part of another committee and having to attend another meeting each month. However, this committee actually does stuff. We really are a voice for the graduate students. As such, I got to help write two proposals to help graduate students, one involving stipends and one involving family medical leave. For once, I really do feel like I got to make a small difference in changing policies that affect all graduate students. 

October - Too Much Goodness for Words

October is usually the month in which I cry the most. When I was teaching middle school, one dreary day in October, my master teacher entered my classroom during my off period to give me a surprise Heath bar (my favorite candy) only to find me bawling at my desk. Weeping uncontrollably. I was just upset, had low morale, and felt like I couldn't keep up with all the demands. At that point, she let me in on a little secret. She said, "Did you know that when people study to get their principal or superintendent certifications, they have to take a course on leadership and morale? In that course, they are told that October is the month in the fall in which teachers have the lowest morale. They are encouraged to actively try to make their faculty happier during that month. You aren't alone, and this is normal." Wow! I was so surprised. That moment has really stayed with me, and it continues. Every October, I feel icky. Thankfully, this October had too many good things happen for words!

First of all, I again worked my little tail off and had my highest recorded number of hours written - over 85! Geez. Secondly, my first manuscript, that I helped co-author, was published. Publication numero uno in the books. :) A second manuscript that I felt VERY strongly about and love with all my heart, was accepted with minimal revisions for publication. It will be published this spring. That's two publications in one month! In reality, I learned about them within days of each other. Finally, I got to attend the Kappa Delta Pi Convocation that only happens every two years. This conference was a thorn in my side and something I did NOT want to do. I was helping with two presentations, but I just didn't want to spend the four days in Dallas not being able to do my own work. Turns out, I was pleasantly surprised with the conference, had fun, and made some great connections. October turned out to be my most prosperous month by far! Way to change my perspective.

November - AERA Proposal Reveal

There was a big moment we were all waiting for ALL fall - the revelation of the AERA proposals which had been accepted. If you remember, when I discussed July, I mentioned how important this was and how hard it is to get accepted. On November 1st, we finally got an end to our waiting game. The results were in. I submitted 5 proposals that had my name on them in some capacity. Of the 5 proposals, I definitely had a favorite, I always do. Beyond all my wildest expectations, my favorite proposal is the only one that got accepted. I was so elated by the fact that any of my proposals were accepted and even more excited that this was the one that did. My colleagues and I will be traveling to Philadelphia in April for AERA #2 - and I get to present! :) Besides being published, this is the highlight of my year.

December - Surviving it all and thriving

This past December, I was happy just to survive it all. All the work, all the craziness, all the sleepless nights. I was able to make substantial progress toward my goals and definitely proved myself capable of research and juggling multiple projects. I'm blessed and happy to be doing what I love and thriving, not just surviving. I can't imagine what 2014 will hold, but I'm ready for it all!

What. A. Year. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment