Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mixed Methods International Research Association (MMIRA)

A second conference I got to attend this past summer was the first annual MMIRA meeting. Mixed methods is a methodology that is growing in esteem in the field. I was so excited to be part of this conference's first meeting and share a few presentations about mixed methods studies I have conducted. While the conference was new, it did not disappoint.

People were very helpful and friendly! I know it sounds simple, but I really enjoy conferences where people are there to share their research, mentor young faculty/graduate students, or build the field. Too often, it seems people attend conferences for their own agenda or to put other researchers down. This conference, mostly, was not like that. I made some great connections that are leading to further research (being part of a multi-institution symposium at another conference and getting direct feedback on my dissertation research).

I learned more about what mixed methods research is and what it is not. Mixed methods research is new so it has a limited definition. I learned more about what this new methodology consists of and how to ensure the research I am doing fits the definition. I received so many references to further my study. Overall, I feel the research I conduct from here forward will be more rigorous because I attended this conference.

There was great diversity in methodology, areas of study, and people! This was one of the most diverse conference I have ever attended. People came from all over the world (China, Puerto Rico, Canada, and across the United States). No specific area of research was the focus so health, education, and other social science research was presented. Finally, there were so many different types of mixed methods research being conducted. Again, it was a great learning experience just from the exposure to so much research.

While I do not foresee attending this conference again as it overlaps in time with another conference I enjoy, I am glad I attended. I will definitely encourage my future graduate students to pursue this conference as a great learning experience.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tracey
    I am Krishna Prasad Parajuli from Nepal. I am a lecturer of English. I am much interested with developing reading and writing skills with integration of technology. I am also developing my research skills and thinking of doing P. HD in educational technology. I had one one online teacher training from US. Here is my blog http://krishwebskills.blogspot.com/
    You have made great reflection in your blog. I am very much excited to read your blog. How nicely written the fear and joy of a writer and researcher. I hope to keep in touch and learn and share our professional development development.

    Best regard
    Krishna

    ReplyDelete