Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Text and Academic Authors Association

This summer I had wonderful opportunities to attend several conferences, including TAA (Text and Academic Authors Association). I wanted so badly to attend this conference, so I submitted two presentation ideas and both were accepted! One was a formal presentation over managing multiple writing projects and one was a roundtable presentation from my current research on writing in higher education.

This conference is hands down one of the best I have ever been to. I plan to attend for many years to come and present as often as I can. :) Next year, the conference is in Las Vegas!

They care about their conference attendees. 

Conferences often do not "take care" of their attendees, but this one did! There was breakfast provided every morning (oatmeal, fruit, and pastries) with coffee, water, or soda. Drinks were available throughout the day (water, soda, and coffee) for pick-me-ups along with snacks. The conference committee organized dinner as a group each night and lunch was provided at the conference. During registration, all attendees were given programs, pens, and small backpacks to carry everything in. 

While feeding me and keeping me hydrated wins my heart, what truly made a difference is how welcoming the conference committee was. I was never without someone shaking my hand and talking to me. Members of the committee made a point to attend both my roundtable and presentation and give me helpful, encouraging feedback. I met every single one of the people who organized the conference and could tell you something about them when I left. Usually, I have no idea who was in charge or what role they played. This attention to the attendees and presenters is unparalleled. 


The sessions were very informative and helpful. 

I am a researcher and writer. This conference is going to be the conference I attend to help build my writing craft and give my soul some good vibes. During the break-out sessions, I found it challenging to choose which sessions I wanted to go to because everything was so good! There were sessions about writing manuscripts or books, getting published, legal issues, funding, and from a variety of presenters, college instructors, textbook writers, and lawyers. Everyone could find something to enjoy. 

The sessions were also very good. Each one I attended, I left with handouts and notes from the interactions. Most presenters were open to answering questions and being flexible in their presentation to accommodate the needs of the audience. I learned so much! 


They used social media well. 

More and more conferences are beginning to use social media (Facebook, Twitter, discussion groups online) to get people involved in the conference. Most fail. However, this conference did it right! A bowl was set up at the registration table where attendees could write tweets that were posted via the TAA Twitter Page (and there was a drawing for an Amazon gift card to encourage people to participate). Furthermore, at least one member of the conference committee was at each session posting to the Twitter page during the presentation! How great! There was a unique hashtag to follow the tweets and when I reviewed these at the end of the day, I learned just as much as from the sessions. 


Overall, this conference was welcoming, friendly, and raised the bar for my expectations at conferences. I cannot wait to attend (and maybe present) again next year! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment