Friday, July 11, 2014

Study Abroad - from the Instructor Perspective

Immediately following my dissertation proposal defense, I had the most incredible opportunity - I got to go to London, England to help chaperone a study abroad excursion. As my first experience traveling internationally, and my first attempt at leading 38 undergraduate students, I could not have asked for a better experience. To top it all off, I really needed a break after successfully defending my dissertation proposal.

While I was not the official instructor in charge on the trip, I was her graduate assistant. The undergraduates knew me as a member of the instructors and got to answer to me just the same. I learned so much on the trip and picked up some great advice for how to lead a study abroad in the future - which I cannot wait for! 

This trip was short and sweet, only one week. The students who attended had to meet some very rigorous requirements for academics and have recommendations from other instructors. Finally, every bit of this trip was planned by a travel agency and we had the most incredible tour guide ever.

Here are my top lessons about leading a study abroad trip:

1. Have contacts in the country you are visiting. We had the number of our travel agent and our tour guide handy at all times. We could call them at any minute if we had a concern (and we had to a few times). Being close with people who know their way around the country is of the utmost importance; these people can assist you with how to act, correct tipping, travel, etc. 

2. Be flexible. The most important lesson in teaching is also important when traveling abroad. We had everything planned perfectly, down to the hour. However, things don't always go as planned. Our bus was late the first two days putting us nearly an hour behind schedule. This caused us to rush at several important stops, but we managed. We also had to rearrange a few stops that were more flexible in timing. While this was not ideal, we still had a great trip and got to see everything we wanted. 

3. Be nicer than necessary to everyone. Hotel personnel, drivers, waiters, everyone. Even if the service is sub-par, even if things aren't going your way. Nothing is more important than being extra nice, tipping too much, and showing gratitude to everyone. As I mentioned earlier, you never know when you will need someone to help you out. Plus, you don't want the reputation of being a "narcissistic American". 

4. Keep your cool. Upon arriving in London, one of our students left her passport on the plane BEFORE we went through customs. Many of the students freaked out and did not know what to do. However, the instructors kept their cool which made the students keep their cool. When our busses were late, we kept our cool. It is always important to maintain patience and a clear head. 

Traveling around London was a blast. The girls had a great time, we had a great time, and I want to go back ASAP. :) 

Someday, I hope to lead my own Study Abroad trip. 

1 comment: