Saturday, July 19, 2014

Writing Motivation and Inspiration

Writing is hard.

From thoughts and ideas to grammar and stylistics - writing is one of the most complex actions we can complete.

However, writing can also be one of the most rewarding tasks. At its core, writing is a form of self-expression, advocacy, and communication. It is a way to convey the deepest thoughts of our hearts and minds. It is personal.

Because of this one fact alone, it's personal, we face challenges. Allowing other people to read our writing can be frightening and we can feel like their opinion of our writing is their opinion of us. Separating the two can be difficult.

I consider myself a "good" writer. I have been writing since childhood when I would prepare newspapers, reports, or presentations on daily events or topics I researched (like the Alamo, Pocahontas, and the American Revolution). During my school years, I mostly faced failure as a writer. My teachers did not believe I was a good writer though I was a good student. It wasn't until I began studying writing for a living that I saw the problem - I didn't fit the mold. I wrote in my own style. This style was good, but not appropriate for what my school required. 

In college, I majored in English with an emphasis in rhetoric. I then began teaching English and Language Arts to middle and high school students before returning to graduate school full time for my Ph.D., which I knew would focus on the study of writing. In my free time, I blog, write poetry, short stories, and chunks of a novel, and diary daily. Writing is a part of my lifestyle and well-being.

Yet, I find writing challenging and difficult at times. This summer I have been struck with an odd case of "lack of motivation and inspiration". There are so many things I want to write, so many ideas, but not nearly the time to complete them. For me, this results in an apathetic attitude. There is too much before me, not enough time, and therefore, I feel like I am falling behind. What I need is motivation and inspiration.

I am not usually one to blame my writing woes on this "lack"; however, there is really no other reason for the way I feel. To see if I could bolster my attitude, I reviewed what I have done since January:

1. completed my preliminary exams
2. presented 12 conference papers
3. piloted a study focused on writing
4. wrote 4 articles (3 currently under review for publication)
5. wrote and defended my dissertation proposal
6. wrote 2 book chapters that are under review

Um. Wow. I really have no reason to feel disappointed or like there is a lack in motivation. To provide further evidence against my position, I have felt like I've slowed down since summer began. Looking at my writing logs, this is the farthest thing from the truth. In June, I wrote for 64 hours, which is above average for the year! In fact, the only two months in which I wrote more were January (preliminary exams) and April (dissertation proposal). 

The big question then is: Why do I still feel a lack of motivation and inspiration and like I am not accomplishing all that I want? Simple answer: Too much. I have a never-ending list of tasks that doesn't get any shorter no matter how many items are crossed off. While this list is not changing any time soon, I have begun to better understand how to manage the stresses this causes. 

More importantly, I have realized how much I have accomplished and how happy I should be with my progress. That is all the motivation and inspiration I could ever hope for. :) 

What motivates and inspires you? If you can't find your answer, look within! 

No comments:

Post a Comment